Book a MeetingContactLogin

Testimonial ++ Internship ++ Ireland

Thomas' Internship Abroad Journey : Ireland at Last!

"Besides getting the chance to be where I had always wanted to be, I also gained professional experience; absolutely worth it!"

Irish Hospitality

My internship in Ireland was just a pleasure. I lived in a guest family, a mom with her son, both of them working for the same company as I did. They have always been kind to me and we have talked a laughed a lot. Every now and then I invited some friends for dia shows are card games. The outstanding hospitality of the Irish people was really impressive and they tend to have a good family relationship.

My company is specialized in hostel and guesthouse reservations. Clients can book a room or a bed, pay a deposit or 10 percent online (placement commission of the company) and the remaining 90 percent will be paid at the hotel reception. This is a simple and fair possibility to book accommodations worldwide.

During my internship, I was in charge of the Hostel owners in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Georgia, Ukraine, and Canada. The daily tasks were actually not that interesting, but it was alright. Nevertheless, the work was a valuable experience for me. I worked with programs such as Outlook and other English language software. Furthermore, I had to do a lot of phone calls with our customers and could adapt and improve my English skills. The company’s staff was from different countries such as Germany, Spain, France, and Italy. Hence, I could not only improve my English but could also prevent the degradation of my French language skills.

I figured out, that the working ethic in Ireland is a little bit different from that in Germany. Even though there are fixed workflows, the actual work is not that stressful. I had a lot of time to finish my tasks properly and the colleagues and supervisors were not that fussy as in Germany. Everybody was really friendly and we all seemed to be a big family. We had a lot of fun during our work and shared a lot of after-work Guinness in one of the Pubs.

I also met a lot of people thanks to the placement agency. Furthermore, I received an email with all the contact details of interns who will work in Dublin at the same time. Furthermore, I participated in tours which were organized by the agency and made a lot of new friends.

What to Do during Your Free Time in Dublin?

It is definitely a plus, that many sights are within walking distance. After I had visited the Guinness brewery, I had a walk along the „Liffey“ river until I reached the Trinity College and could take a picture at the Molly-Malone statue. You will find souvenirs on every corner. If you are interested in art and culture I would recommend a visit to the Irish National Library or one of the numerous museums. Keen for an open-air music experience? Grafton Street is a daily mekka for many street musicians. You can also take the DART (train) to visit Dublin’s peninsula Howth for a walking tour.

It is definitely a plus, that many sights are within walking distance. After I had visited the Guinness brewery, I had a walk along the „Liffey“ river until I reached the Trinity College and could take a picture at the Molly-Malone statue. You will find souvenirs on every corner. If you are interested in art and culture I would recommend a visit to the Irish National Library or one of the numerous museums. Keen for an open-air music experience? Grafton Street is a daily mekka for many street musicians. You can also take the DART (train) to visit Dublin’s peninsula Howth for a walking tour.

Now in the end that I'm back in Germany I'd say it was not always easy in Barcelona but it was for sure worth it! It was hard at the beginning when I had to find a room and always got lost in the streets but still, it was an experience that I don't want to miss. I got to know a lot of people, improved my Spanish and lived in a city for the first time in my life. I miss the beach in front of my door and the metro that goes at least every 5 minutes but even more I miss the friends I made and the great time we had together whether on a night out or on a funny cooking evening. Thank you for all the coffee breaks and laughs we had sitting in the sun talking about nothing important.

One day I'll come back to Barcelona for sure!

This might also be interesting for you